Christmas Bedding and Felting Mayhem

Having sorted out the upstairs cupboard and organizing the duvet sets by placing them in their corresponding pillowcases, I decided to treat myself to a new Christmas duvet. I love all the folksy fabrics and the simple felted Christmas shapes that set those wonderful homemade Christmas scenes in the magazines, i am a huge fan of pinterest and i seem to be drawn to this style of late so when i found this duvet set and matching throw from George at such a brilliant price, I had to buy it.



Throw £20.00 , Double Duvet £12.00 by George at Asda.

The colors are perfect and the taupe matches my bedroom curtains and decor perfectly. i cant wait until it is on the bed!!

Now i'm not the greatest at sewing, and my eyesight is not what it used to be either, so anything involving threading a needle was going to be a challenge. Having decided that creating my own designs of felting Christmas nostalgia would be relatively simple,  things didn't really go to plan. After a few botched efforts it has to be said i really can't draw, sew or cut out properly either!!! I think i am better suited to simple shapes which i can cut with my Sizzix as this makes a far neater sharp cut and ultimately is easier to sew around .



First attempt at designing and stitching, ...ahem....well at least they will be unique. I bought some sequins to compliment some papers i bought to make Christmas cards with, and decided to bling up robin number 2...yes it is supposed to be a robin... I had to google stitching sequins...and found some patient and rather clever person that had done a video tutorial on you tube.


I used the Sizzix alterations snowman die designed by Tim Holtz for this little guy. What can i say but i'm sorry Tim. He didn't quite end up looking cute and plump as i had visualized. Small shapes don't lend themselves to stitching that well especially when I am holding the cotton, the felt kept tearing which was frustrating and there are so many stitches in his arms.


This one fared a little better in the simple circle shape. i got this reindeer die as a free gift in the current simply cards and paper craft magazine..... although it cut the felt, the felt tore constantly and I lost his antlers, his leg and most of his stomach..... I improvised with my new found skill at sequin stitching and gave him some sparkly antlers....

However Tad daaaa......


This has got to be my most favorite one as it looks like i hoped it would. 
 I think it's safe to say i'm better with simple, i'm sure that the more I make my stitching will improve... but everyone has to start somewhere and I  when they are placed on branches in a vase and positioned on my bedside unit they are going to look fab and i shall be feeling just a little bit smug.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

introducing Geraldine my first knitted project....

Where is April going??????????????

sad times and baking