Christmas 2015

So here it is first post of the year and what a miserable day greets me as i type this. It is now February!!!!
We seem to have bypassed winter and gone straight into spring, the daffodils are already out on the road sides and even the lazy little ones in my garden have been awoken far too early for there liking. The weather here is up and down, one minute we have storms the next we have beautiful sunshine, that's such a wonderful thing about British weather - you never know what you are going to get.

So christmas....... , seems like forever ago now, we spent it at home just the 5 of us and of course our 3 furry family members.



I was relatively organised this year and made several of these little Christmas cakes alongside the bigger one for us. They make great additions to homemade hamper gifts .

I was studying pinterest hard for ideas for wrapping and found some great tutorials for turning wrapping paper into bags for awkward shaped gifts, and how to jazz up normal boxes to make them look a bit different. I wanted a simple look this Christmas, the older i get the more simple i like things, less is more if you will, including the stress. There are some amazing things on Pinterest i also made these wonderful large white bows, they look so beautiful and are literally pennies to make!!



I also was able to incorporate a bit of paper-crafting in and used my Tim Holtz tattered pine cone die to add a little bit extra to the parcels.

Another tutorial i found was how to make origami 5 pointed stars so i sat there happily using up some of my 6x6 paper stacks the size was perfect .
The tags were made using a little bird die by Marianne collectibles.
This little die was so versatile i used it for Christmas Tags and also some Christmas cards.
I also made some pine cones with some polystyrene eggs. You can make an awful lot from a small 6 x 6 paper pack, they looked great in the conservatory on my large umbrella plant




I love Christmas and with the wealth of all the ideas on the internet i find myself a little sad that my boys are now growing up so fast, i mean the oldest is 23 now and the youngest 13,and there are sooooooo many ideas for creating family traditions and things to do with the little folk.

But.... it is never to late to set a family tradition... December has for the last 14 years been a really hard time of year, as it is the month that our beautiful daughter and sister really did become an angel, so we have now decided that December 12th is the day we will have our North Pole breakfast and a secret Santa, however alongside a small thoughtful gift with a maximum spend we set at £2.50, you also  write a poem or a letter to your secret Santa about what they mean to you. I have to say it was lovely, I'm looking forward to this tradition unfolding more over the coming years.





we had sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, garlic and rosemary saute potatoes, buttered toast, baked beans, fruit, cakes, sweets and some mini muffins that i made and topped with sprinkles and caramel pieces. i think next time we will add croissants and iced doughnuts . The boys had a vanilla yogurt milk shake with strawberry puree, it looked pretty but i'm not sure they enjoyed it that much as it wasn't that sweet, next time i think it will be bucks fizz all around.

One of the best parts for me is decorating the house, and its all about the fairy lights, i don't think i will ever have enough sockets for the amount that i would love to put up. I love the reflective surfaces and the sparkle, it makes it so cosy and magical.



I adore all the snow topped wooden houses and churches, if i cant have a winter wonderland outside then i will do the best i can inside. I made some snowflakes with my cricut machine and hung them  from the blinds in the conservatory, they worked really well as when ever there was breeze they danced above our heads.

As it was just the 5 of us and Robbie eating, i asked my dad to order us some beef this year rather than a turkey..... well i ended up with an 18lb rib of beef, i kid you not it was massive, i had to clear out the bottom of my fridge just to get it in. I also asked him if he could get me some gammon...again a 14lb chunk of piggy arrived!!!

it may look rather burnt but trust me it wasn't, it was beautiful and fed us for a week and i still have some slices that i popped in the freezer with some gravy!!
So that was Christmas, it seems so long ago now, personally i cant wait for this years :)
So albeit a tad late....CHEERS!!!!!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

introducing Geraldine my first knitted project....

Where is April going??????????????

sad times and baking